The Toronto Mental Health and Addictions Supportive Housing Network (TMHASHN), is a network of supportive housing organizations and affiliated members who share a common desire to improve both the availability and quality of supportive housing options for Torontonians living with serious mental health and addictions challenges.
A society that recognizes the health, social and economic benefits that are derived from the investment in and provision of affordable, safe, and high quality supportive housing services to people living with serious mental health and addiction challenges.
Our network’s mission is to work collaboratively in order to advance:
- Society’s awareness of:
- The health, social and economic benefits of Mental Health and Addictions (MHA) supportive housing
- The required political will, financial investment and community support that is needed to bridge the gap between demand for MHA supportive housing and the present capacity of such services in Toronto
- The range and quality of the diverse services we deliver, so that we can best meet the needs of our community.
Principles and Beliefs
Though we are a network of autonomous organizations and affiliated members, our work together is guided by the principles and approaches inherent in a Constellation Model of collaboration (see Appendix A).
In addition to this, collectively we share the following fundamental beliefs:
- Safe and affordable housing is a basic human right and a platform for mental health recovery and healthy living
- Toronto requires a diverse range of safe, affordable, supportive housing options in order to ensure informed choice for the people these services are intended to help
- Supportive housing must be delivered in a manner which minimizes barriers to access and promotes housing stability, personal recovery, wellness and overall quality of life.
- Security of tenure in permanent supportive housing contributes to housing stability and tenant recovery and quality of life.
- A coordinated Toronto MHA Supportive Housing system needs to have a diversity of flexible approaches to responding to the changing needs and desires of existing clients, tenants and applicants.
- That the pursuit of our mission is best achieved through the development of strong collaborative relationships amongst our network members, the broader community, government, the private sector, philanthropic supporters, and the hospital/institutional sector.